Thursday, December 3, 2009

Little Smiles

Yesterday and today have been great days with Cait. She has continued to lower her oxygen needs and is handling her feedings very well, eating a little over 1/2 ounce every three hours. Her big accomplishment today is that she has now started to gain weight instead of lose it. Tuesday she was down to 2lbs 2oz and today she is 2lbs 4oz. YEAH! Cait has also started physical therapy as her shoulders and elbows are pretty stiff from not being able to move too much while inside. Today the PT showed me how to do Caits stretches so we can do them when we are with her. It kinda reminds me of a Jane Fonda workout for preemies.

The nurses have been letting me help with diaper changes, taking her temperature, and making sure her mouth stays moist since she likes to sleep with it hanging open. It feels so good to be able to do something for her instead of just sit and stare. Yesterday her nurse even let me hang out with her with the blue lights turned off for a few minutes. This means she didn't have to have her little suntanning goggles on and could open her eyes. Seeing my daughter open her eyes for the first time was quite overwhelming. It's amazing what you can see when you look in your child's eyes, I finally got to have a little glimpse of HER and not just her body. To top it all off she gave me quite a few little grins. Melted my heart.

We haven't had the chance to hold her yet but that day will come. Dale and I are more than ready but we don't want to cause her any unnecessary stress when she is doing so well, so we will wait. Her nurse last night showed me some ways I can "hold" her while she's in her isolet. Cait really seemed to like it as she snuggled right down and zonked out.

She is such a sweetheart and I just can't seem to get enough of her. My time at the hospital seems to fly by much too quickly. We are still trying to get a schedule down with the boys, work, school, daily life, the NICU, and don't forget the pump. It's been pretty crazy this week and I want to say Thank You to everyone who have pitched in and helped with the boys and dinners. You have all been lifesavers. We are so grateful to have such wonderful friends and family around us. Thank You again for all that you do for me and my family.

-Candice

4 comments:

  1. I can't tell you how much your words bring comfort to me. I'm so glad that she is doing so well. How precious these moments are for you. We can only imagine what it feels like to be you. Love the new song. It puts things into perspective. Thanks for sharing her with us. We love you guys. Give my love to the boys.
    Love, Gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy Cait is doing well! Thanks for sharing about being able to look into her eyes...it made me cry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so great to hear this. We think about you guys every day. I'm so glad that she is finally gaining weight. It's that mommy's milk that will do it. Keep up the good work.

    Love ya, Kristine

    ReplyDelete
  4. SMILE away Cait! We are so happy to hear the great improvements. Baby Cait has helped us all remember how miraculous our bodies really are but even more so how strong our spirits can be. Faith Hope Charity and Love...What a great season to remember the words of God. Julie

    ReplyDelete