Sunday, December 6, 2009

The Good with the Bad

We have been blessed to have Cait do so well this last week. Recognizing these blessings helps to take the sting off the bad days, just a bit. Cait had a challenging day. Candice had gone up to the hospital to be with Cait, while the boys and I went to church. After a spiritually overwhelming sacrament meeting, I was greeted by a good family friend sent by Candice to relay the news that Cait was not doing well and that I needed to get to the hospital ASAP.

Cait had developed an infection and her lungs were looking slightly collapsed, she stopped breathing for a time because of the infection. Not good. She is stable now, but is back on a ventilator and tubes everywhere helping to sustain life once again. I have been blessed to give her another blessing and once again felt a strength and power not of my own with me during this sacred experience.

On the way to the hospital I had this strong sense of sorrow and gratitude. Yes, gratitude. I am so grateful that Cait has done so well for so long. She has been blessed. But with my gratitude comes an understanding knowing that with the good comes gratitude, and with the bad comes faith.

~Dale

5 comments:

  1. we were sorry and a little scared to see Celtin (with you) leave primary so fast today. There were many of us worried and a little shaken to hear news that Cait might not be doing so well. There are a lot of people saying a lot of prayers for that little girl - and I know you know that your family is not alone in this. But its easy to feel alone I think late at night during trials. Remember there are a lot of us wanting, praying and having faith that the best things happen to and for your family.(Candice - all of us with 'Mother hearts' are with you especially! We love you.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel as if a lot of the things we have been discussing at church lately point to the fact that very often hard/bad things precede great things (not the very least of which would include the Savior suffering and dying for the chance for eternal life for us all.) Here's hoping and praying that little Cait's setback today precedes great things to come. We love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have been thinking of you all day. Cait is so blessed to have such strong parents who truley radiate the light of Christ. Dale-your testimony was so powerful testifying of Christ and his priesthood power. Thank you for sharing such a sacred experience with us. Know that all our faith and prayers are being sent to you and Cait. I will call tomorrow - Let me know if I can pick up the boys and watch them. Love you--Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful blog! This is the first time that we have looked at it together and we feel your strength and faith! Blake and I said family prayers with our kids tonight and YET AGAIN our boys do not forget you and your little Cait. We all love your family and are pulling for that little sweetie. We hope and pray that you will feel our love and our prayers. God works in mysterious ways but we will always come out blessed in some way, if we endure our trials. We love you!!!! What a blessing it is for us to have you as friends. Lots of love, Blake and Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dale, you truly have a way with words. And you are so right. Keep your faith strong, as I know you always do. Remember, I am only a phone call (or key stroke) away and I am always here to listen.
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete